Born in 1993 in New York, Tara Violet Niami is a photographer and cinematographer from LA. She seeks to perplex and unsettle viewers with her work creating visual poetry. Tara is inspired by the films of Andrea Arnold, Terrence Malick, Wim Wenders and Michelangelo Antonioni, and work of Emmanuel Lubezki, Francesca Woodman, Sally Mann, and late 19th century Pictorialists.
Tara has a BFA in photography at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York. Tara is currently a Cinematography Fellow at the acclaimed American Film Institute Conservatory.
Tara has directed and shot short films Mirrors and Ghosts, The Sin, Liquid Damage, Impaired, and The Center Cannot Hold, Trapped, and Destroy My Beautiful Wickedness. The music video she directed for “Worth the Wait” by The Life of Riley (for the release of the film Shirin in Love) premiered on the Huffington Post. She has photographed for Rookie Magazine, headed by Tavi Gevinson and Anaheed Alani. She has been a still photographer on feature films Babe's and Ricky's Inn and Shirin in Love as well as on Burn Brightly a short film directed by Lauren Ludwig as a part of American Film Institute's Directing Women Workshop. Her work has been shown in group shows in London and Berlin been published in such publications as Elle France, Vanity Fair Spain, VICE, Le Monde, the book If You Leave covered by Dazed & Confused, and more.
- AFI Scholarship
- Iranian American Foundation Scholarship
- M.O. & R.Pratt Jr. Scholarship based on Sophomore year Portfolio at Pratt Institute
- Presidential Scholarship for Pratt Institute
- First place in the Southern California Spotlight Awards for photography
- Regional Gold Key for photo portfolio and Silver Key for photography in the Scholastic Awards
- Regional Silver Key and Five Honorable Mentions for photography in the Scholastic Awards
- California Arts Scholar, selected by CSSSA and the CSSSA Foundation
- National Gold Medal in the Scholastic Awards
- Two Regional Silver Keys and Three Honorable Mentions for photography in the Scholastic Awards
Full resume available on request. For information on film and photographic commissions and to purchase limited edition prints contact her at: firstname.lastname@example.org